Believe it or not, this is a GREAT first question to ask the prospective professional boudoir photographer you plan to work with.
Because snapping a beautiful photo of a model who is comfortable in front of the camera, who ‘knows her best angles’ and knows how to ‘work the camera,' who knows how to avoid exaggerated facial expressions or awkward poses (without much input from the photographer!) is way, WAY different (and less difficult) than the photographer knowing how to expertly pose and guide an often shy and nervous (non-model) woman to a gorgeous boudoir photo of herself -- all the while delivering for her a fun and empowering boudoir photo shoot experience.
Why would that be, you ask?
For starters, unlike a model, the average 'non-model' woman often has certain apprehensions or fears when it comes to being in front of the camera (ummm, I certainly do). She often also has fears and pre-conceived notions about her perceived inability to get a good picture of herself. In my experience, I'd say most clients coming to work with me confess on their booking call to being initially one or other (or all!) of the following:
- afraid of/nervous in front of the camera
- afraid of being awkward, of not knowing how to pose or 'look sexy' or what to do with their hands, their face, their lips, their whole body
- afraid of not being photogenic and never looking good in a photo
Funny (not funny!) - many of these same clients also confess to having achieved 'laughable results' with former boudoir photo attempts, caused by either:
- having tried to (badly) DIY their boudoir photos themselves - or with the help of equally inexperienced photographer partners/friends
- having worked with a photographer who's claimed to know how to photograph boudoir - who in reality had no clue how to direct a client to a great experience and a beautiful, tasteful, sexy picture
When you add it all up, it's easy to see how the fears/nervousness of non-model women, coupled with inexperienced boudoir photography skills, can create less than desirable results.
So when you want great photos AND a great experience as a non-model? Hire a photographer whose business is built on making non-model women look and feel like SuperModels. They'll let you know that:
1. It's not just OK, it's perfectly normal to be a bit (or alot) nervous in front of the camera. Most of my clients are (and so am I, should you flip that camera around!).
But if the photographer who's used to working with mostly models isn't experienced in addressing non-model nervousness of clients not so comfortable with the camera - or doesn't provide proper posing and emotional guidance during the boudoir photoshoot experience - this can feed the client's discomfort, which can then in turn fuel the client's awkwardness, which can ultimately make the experience uncomfortable and unrewarding, and in turn create photos that are mediocre at best. And some would call this the road to 'laughable results.' Which is neither funny, nor what you want from your experience.
2. It's also perfectly normal to NOT know how to pose for your boudoir photos. Because a professional boudoir photographer. specializing in boudoir and in photographing non-model women, will guide you in easy to follow steps and prompts to looking like a SuperModel in your photos, every step of the way -- all the while providing for you a fun, judgment-free, comfortable and relaxed environment -- so that your fears melt away while your beauty and sexiness shines through in each and every photo.
Remember: when getting boudoir photos done, you want to work with a talented, experienced and professional boudoir photographer with extensive knowledge of working with and posing non-models, a photographer who knows how to put you at ease while creating the most gorgeous photos of a non-model woman - like you. Because you deserve someone who knows to capture your best shots, your best angles - and deliver the best overall experience, making YOU a SuperModel diva for the day (without you having any prior professional model experience)!